Thursday, December 12, 2013

Live at the Kitchen Counter

Blogger has changed significantly since my last post. Don't worry about checking that post out, by the way; horrible little write-up I did about a great film entitled "Black Swan". I need to go back and watch that; I've only seen it about seven times so there's undoubtedly elements I've yet to pick up on.

"I Am a Child" - Neil Young

We managed to get groceries this week and not get anything to eat. We didn't spend a ton of money, but we did spend some so you'd figure we'd have something to show for it. Maybe we did on Tuesday evening. But it's Thursday and all of that's history now. So, it was get pizza and breadsticks or suck it up and make something from scratch that the kids would pretend to like. Gavin's ears perked up at the sound of "pancakes" so I went from there.

Having not had much time this week for listening to music as I've been in training, I had yet to get to listen to Neil Young's new/old live LP "Live at the Cellar Door". I couldn't think of anything more perfect than cooking Canadian food (pancakes are Canadian staples; look it up) and listening to my favorite Canadian sing tunes predating "Harvest". Synced my Soundfreaq speaker to my phone and I was off. I was loving it, but it wasn't quite loud enough. So I plugged in the AC adapter and got the speaker up to "11". All was right.

Mixing sugar, egg, and vanilla while Neil crooned about love breaking hearts, Gavin enters the kitchen from his room. He's carrying his iPhone (calm down; it's just an MP3 player and alarm clock at this point) and hops up on a stool. Without any communication since I put the album on, he made a few gestures, and looked up at me eagerly as "Out on the Weekend" starting playing from his phone's speaker.

My jaw got a little wet as it touched the pancake batter I was mixing up. Then he simply put his phone down on the counter and slid it over by my speaker. I glanced at the phone and - sure enough - there's the "Harvest" art in all its timeless glory. I turned off my speaker, turned up the volume on his phone, and added the flour.

Best pancakes ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment