Saturday, January 9, 2016

2016: My year of new films.

I had a thought very late in 2015 regarding my longtime love affair with all things film. I watch a lot of movies relative - I believe - to the average viewer. It's something I think I've always done and I definitely find comfort in those two hours where all that matters in my head is what I'm seeing and hearing.

But something's changed. I don't think I watched as many movies in 2014 and 2015 as I had in prior years. I have no way of knowing this for sure, but that's how I feel. It's more than likely just life doing its thing, but I thought it might be cool to see if I could watch a new film every day in 2016 if I put forth an actual effort to do so. I have a backlog like you wouldn't believe with Netflix and HBO Now at the ready. Yes, maybe it's silly. "Making a goal to watch movies is a bigger waste of time than watching the movies themselves" some of you may be saying. That's fine. This is about me and - in a way - taking better control of my wakeful hours rather than wasting those same hours wandering aimlessly across the neverending information superhighway.

So, what have I watched so far? Very happy you asked! The schedule thus far has been as follows:

1/1: THE LAST UNICORN
1/2: THE FLIGHT OF DRAGONS
1/3: WIZARDS
1/4: THE INTOUCHABLES
1/5: BEFORE SUNRISE
1/6: PITCH BLACK
1/7: ONE, TWO, THREE

Now, you may notice straight away that today is January 9 and I don't have a listing above for January 8. We'll call this the "Making a Murderer" effect. I'm through it now and back on task. Still, I won't be too hard on myself if I stumble onto something completely absorbing on a day off.

We'll see where this goes. I'm eager to add to my already strong knowledge of film. Maybe I'll write some impressions along the way and maybe someone will read them. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment