Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Black Swan - a review

At this point in my movie-watching career, I know I'm in for a ride when I sit down to watch a Darren Aronofsky film. Many people put weight on actors they enjoy watching and use that basis when it comes to seeing films. That's fine and well, but there really are only a few actors and actresses capable of carrying a film on their own. Sure, it’s been done, but I’ve been let down time and again every time I start to think I can depend on a single star. Incidentally, it’s generally not the stars fault; it comes down to the fact that - generally speaking - films sometime manage to be awful even when the best performances are delivered. And ultimately that comes back around to the director not delivering.

Aronofsky has earned my loyalty much like Fincher, Nolan and many other veteran directors. The very first thing I look to when previewing an upcoming film is the director’s billing; Aronofsky isn’t one to skip out on.

I was late to the party in regards to Black Swan. It managed to be hit theaters before I had heard anything about it let alone watched the stunningly beautiful, mysterious trailer that obviously preceded it’s release. And then it disappeared for the major local theaters only a couple of weeks after its release, before the buzz really had taken hold. And now many will find themselves as they have in so many recent years past. So many will go into the Oscars thinking “Best Picture” is down to The Social Network and Inception. And - as was the case with films like The Hurt Locker and Slumdog Millionaire - there will be a lot of post-Oscar hustling to track down a copy of Black Swan so everyone can see what all the fuss is about.

Black Swan open with a dream, both literal and figurative. Nina (Portman) imagines herself as having attained the lead role in Swan Lake, a performance she truly believes she’s ready to take on. The viewer isn’t led to believe Nina is strong-minded or even strong-willed; she seemingly lives only to please her oppressive, obsessive mother who never quite broke through on the ballet scene. And Nina’s core feelings for ballet shine through loud and clear for all to see when she auditions for the dual-role of the White Swan and Black Swan. She has technical ability to spare and exudes innocence, a perfect White Swan. But she undoubtedly lacks the passion and spontaneity that the seductive Black Swan demands. Nevertheless, she’s determined to prove her love for the art by any means necessary and this is the story of how she inevitably finds that darkness within.

Anyone previously exposed to Aronofsky should know he’s far from a “soft” director. Instead, he almost always expects viewers to dive in or be left far behind. I wouldn’t say that the film moves too fast; it has more of a perfect pacing than anything. But it does ask the viewer to pay attention, pick up on something, and move to the next thing almost immediately. Needless to say, this one will take at least a second viewing, one that I’ll be happy to sit through. And I dare say that this will be good for many viewings beyond that.

While there are many performances worth noting, no one outshines the excellent Natalie Portman. Malcolm McDowell once said that he believes he was born to play Alexander DeLarge in Kubrick’s A Clockwork Orange; I can see Portman feeling the same way about this role years from now. I had been very impressed with Portman from other roles she’d taken on, but Black Swan will define her. And that’s far from a bad thing. Whether she’s awarded for it or not, I know I haven’t seen another woman deliver such a masterful performance this year or even in recent years. Like Nina’s finale, Portman’s portrayal is nothing short of perfection.

Going back to the director for a moment, Aronofsky had already impressed me with his other works (Pi, The Wrestler). Black Swan solidifies him as a current “big shot” director. However, unlike the aforementioned Fincher and Nolan, Aronofsky never appears to be out to make a hit. He’s never just along for the ride, his name only one in a sea of others on a blockbuster billing. Others might say he was already amongst the elite; I would agree with that statement. However, Black Swan is an undeniable achievement that will put Aronofsky on the radars of general audiences everywhere.

“That was perfect...” The final line uttered by Portman. Finding my mouth agape, I could only nod my head in agreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment