Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dreams Away

How about a bunch of random things thrown together? Let's go. Been awhile since my last post. Been very busy and nothing really seemed worthy of an entire post. However, lots of little things should do the trick...

Rush - "Tom Sawyer"

Van and Erica are halfway through their leave and it's been great seeing them a few times over the past week. It's really hard to see my little brother married, but it's ever so easy to know that he's happy and has such a wonderful woman standing by his side. Over the past couple years he's grown up a lot and doesn't really feel like a "little" brother now. All in all, we're both grown men (it seems true sometimes, right?) and it really doesn't seem right to think of him as anything less than my contemporary at this point.

Plus, I'm really looking forward to being ripped from my dreams at 2:00am to answer a baby-related question. Know, Van and Erica, that I'll happily answer your inquiries... or I'll probably just pass the phone to Kim and get back to a hopefully lucid dream. You know, let's just cut out the middle man; you have Kim's number, right?

MGMT - "Flash Delirium"

My uncle, Keith, retired; my cousin, Brittany, graduated from high school. Good times. It was good to see lots of familiar and [somewhat] friendly faces on Friday. Food at the reception was fantastic. Who could find a way to not enjoy endless amounts of pulled pork, chicken, and beer? A good time was had by all.

And then Kim and I got to spend the evening and the next day with Kim's grandma, Jo. I hadn't seen her since Christmas and hadn't actually been to her house in Waterloo, IL since... I really don't remember when. The only rough patch came when Gavin had to sleep between us... in a full-size bed. Most of you know my body type (hold the fat jokes until the end, please) and might be having trouble picturing how ridiculous I might look with only 1/3 of a full-size bed for myself. Honestly, it probably wasn't even that much; Gavin managed to get himself sideways on more than one occasion that night.

Coheed & Cambria - "Everything Evil"

Last Thursday was a special day: our fourth wedding anniversary. We've been together for over nine years at this point so I don't know what I really expected. Either way, a very normal, uneventful day is what I got. We each acted quite professional about the thing... literally. I worked the day and Kim was scheduled that evening just like every other Thursday evening. I was pretty bummed about it at the time because I don't remember the last time we actually were able to spend an anniversary together (that's a lie; we spent our very first anniversary together. It was Super Bowl Sunday, 2002. Great day and I don't even remember who was playing that game).

The night went on, I bathed and put Gavin to bed, and I think I finished off The Pacific. It might have had a little to do with The Pacific finale, but I had an epiphany that night. Sure, it sucked that we didn't get to do anything specific to celebrating our anniversary, but I found peace in knowing that I get to spend the rest of my life with a gorgeous, caring, remarkable woman. And that's all that really matters. That she comes home at the very end of the day and we find even the shortest moment to reflect on four wonderful years of marriage. In the grand scheme, it's really the little things that mean the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment